Wednesday 3 December 2008

How toys can save the world...


I genuinely cannot believe how I missed this Ted Talk before, but this is possibly one of the coolest things I have ever seen (in a geeky, childlike sort of way anyway). Check out Will Wright, the original designer of The Sims franchise, as he shows us how ‘toys can save the world’ through his game Spore (released September of this year). An interesting Ted Talk, yet one I strongly recommend watching – a particular highlight is when he talks about encouraging kids to think in the long term. What will happen to us in ten, fifty, a hundred years? It is an interesting question and one that we can perhaps ask ourselves very seriously at some point. I don't know if I could even really consider a realistic, tangible answer to that question, I wouldn't know where to begin, or where to end - it is such a far off, un-logistical thought that my brain would attempt to pack itself up after too much musing. However, this is part of the problem. We aren't prepared to think of the long term consequences of our actions and we aren't prepared for the long term future; Mr Wright is, commendably, attempting to amend this through the medium of toy, game and play.

I’m now going to indulge in some online shopping, I must find that game! Bloody brilliant.

Image taken from here, thanks.

No comments: