Monday 17 November 2008

I got thinking...


It’s been a seriously strange last couple of weeks in my world - amongst all the ups, the downs, the departures, the dramas and the overall lack of sleep, I do believe I have matured a wee tad. It’s generally difficult being eighteen – currently caught between the stroppy, selfish adolescent and a mature, responsible adult - without learning slowly and painfully, haphazardly even, the art of growing up. With such great people around me, and with such brilliant opportunities presented before me, I have found it personally unnerving that I could consider, even subconsciously, straying from the striking, shiny highway that potentially lies ahead. But this, I am told, is part of growing up. This, I am also promised, is common amongst kids – ‘Where will I go?’ ‘What will I do?’ ‘How can I achieve my goals?’ ‘Will I succeed?’ – are all questions I have fretted over at some point but crucially, and fortunately, all questions which I have received the semblance of an answer. So, if this self-doubting, self-questioning, quixotic air commonly surrounds kid’s futures, as I know it does, who guides those whom begin to drift – the kids that need it the most. It’s not difficult to lose your way, I know this to be true - we have all, at some point, strayed from the privileged path that keeps us on the broad, long, straight and narrow, but this is part of the learning process. It’s just growing up (or so I am told). Yet it worries me that a lot of kids feel they cannot, and therefore will not, entrust their concerns with adult figures. Generally it is these figures that know what is best, offer the soundest, most reliable advice, and are generally teh most helpful. Sometimes these mentors are all it takes to ensure that the right decisions are taken, and that the wrong ones are avoided, even if it’s just a few words from a respected someone in a rare, spare moment.

Just something that I got thinking about...

(A very pensive) Whathehelle?

Again with thanks to the illusive Mr LayLow for the image...

1 comment:

Ora_Lanique* said...

OH iF YOU DiDNT TAKE THE WORDS STRAiGHT FROM MY MOUTH
ii AM CURRENTLY FOLLOWiNG COOKiE CRUMBS BAKK TO THE GUiDED PATH!
PS. THANKS FOR THE COMMENT!!
ii TRY TO GET A "LOL" OUTTA AT LEAST ONE PERSON A DAY!
MiSSiON: COMPLETED FOR TODAY!